Saturday, May 8, 2010

Gardening

Last summer I had a few things growing on our balcony. They didn't grow very well and so we didn't get very much produce! I did find out though that we don't like ruccola and I should try to find someone to give the seeds to before they are too old to use anymore.

In this container I've got basil on the left and kale on the right. I keep reading about kale and seeing recipes for it but I've never seen it in the store. I shouldn't say never because I only bothered to find out what it is in Finnish over the winter, so maybe they just sell it in the summer. I found seeds though, so I decided to try and grow some. I read somewhere that a grape container is a good greenhouse for seeds so I tried it. The stickers on the top were difficult to get off but I thought that they blocked too much of the little sunshine that there is.


Here there should be dill on the left and basil on the right. I was surprised that the dill hadn't sprouted yet. It's such a fine plant that I would have thought that it would sprout quickly. I guess the seeds could be dead. I'll have to wait a few days and see what happens. I have no idea when I should try to put them outside!

1 comment:

  1. These pots have me intrigued. Are they just rolled up paper towels or newspaper filled with dirt? Is there any kind of bottom for each pot or do you just have to lift them out carefully when planting in the ground? And I assume you just stick the whole shebang in the ground when planting as well? What a neat and economical idea! I will try this next winter!
    -Janine in Japan

    ReplyDelete