Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Strawberries!

I don't know why I used an exclamation point in the title as I'm not that fond of strawberries. But my son likes them ... so I bought a 5 kilo box. I rinsed them and while I was hulling them I divided them into different piles: large and medium large (for my son in case he comes to visit soon before I have to decide what to do with them), not very soft medium and small to freeze as is, soft for jam and what was left I chopped up to freeze (only one small container) and then those that were too soft I tested them to see if I needed to throw them away but I didn't find any. I was surprised how few had to be thrown away (because of weird things on them).

I usually only use 1 kilo for jam. This time I wanted to use up the jam sugar I had so I didn't have enough. The recipe calls for 2 parts strawberries to 1 part jam sugar and some water. I don't add water as there is always enough liquid. I had 2.8 parts strawberries to 1 part sugar. Looked good and seemed to be jelling. I can't be bothered to do the work for jarring them so I just freeze the jam. It's really easy and if you haven't tried making strawberry jam before I recommend trying a batch or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment